Do you read about people or businesses online before you meet them? Perhaps you research a new business acquaintance or someone you plan to hire for a job around your house? According to estimates, the number of worldwide social media users reached 1.96 billion and is expected to grow to some 2.5 billion by 2018. (Statista). It also states that 81% of Americans have a social media profile. What does your profile say about you and your business?
Keep in mind that if you are searching, so are your potential customers. Many people validate a company by their presence on social media or reviews on the internet. Understandably, maintaining an active status takes time so plan to develop it over time.
One of the most important things to begin with is creating an appealing profile on Facebook and LinkedIn or whichever social media site reaches your customer base. People treat websites, and profiles like billboards. They stay only for a few seconds unless you grab their attention.
Follow a few basic rules to lay the foundation of your social media marketing effort.
- Be sure your profile is up-to-date at any given time.
- Create headlines that say WHAT your are, WHO you help, HOW you can provide a beneifit.
- Demonstrate your credibility in your bio or headline.
- Include an excellent bio. It’s not always easy to write your own so enlist a friend or hire someone that can help.
- Include interesting graphics that relate to your business.
- Be creative and always keep in mind your target market and their needs.
Your presence as a business or business owner should be part of your overall branding strategy. Remember that your brand includes everything about you, your business, your employees, and strategic partners. It is the experience your customers have across all of your advertising platforms. Your social media profile should deliver the same impression as your website, marketing materials, and office environment.
Take some time to update this. With a simple google search, you’ll find some great ideas and resources to help you.